Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Sep 2 19:01:52 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 10:56:22 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> I used to be a big fan of visual
> navigation -- pgUp, pgDn, paragraph up, paragraph down, etc., but
> beyond 500 lines or so, they quickly become impractical. Having a
> 1-key search function (that doesn't involve popups and other such
> annoyances) with reversible direction is a far superior approach.

For relatively local distances, I make ultra-heavy use of
arrows/home/end/page-up/page-down (and the ctrl- versions of them).
Although that does mean laptop/tablet/bluetooth keyboards are
utterly useless to me since they only ever include those keys as a
half-assed "we don't believe anyone ever uses them" token effort.
Shit, even number pads get more respect...but now I'm digressing...

For larger distances I make heavy use of PN2's Quick Find which (since
I've mapped it to Ctrl-F) works like in Firefox: Ctrl-F, type, maybe a
few F3's if the first match isn't right, and done (plus, all matches are
automatically highlighted). I just wish that it auto-selected the
existing junk in the search box when you hit Ctrl-F like FF does.

And then for cross-module navigation there's "Find in Files" which
works pretty well as a poor man's "go to usage/definition" (naturally
I'd prefer the real thing, but with this the need for it isn't as
strong).