Structs can't be zero bytes in size?

Dylan Knutson tcdknutson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 21:39:31 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 04:33:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> There were huge debates about this back when the C standard was
> in development. I don't really want to start that up again :-),
> I don't remember all the pros and cons, suffice to say that
> with D's vaunted C compatibility I think it should behave the
> same way.

Fair enough. Was there any discussion on these forums about it?
It sounds like an interesting topic of discussion, because I'm
curious what the use cases are in D.

Not to start a debate on it, but what compatibility with C is D
is afforded by not having zero sized structs? It seems like D has
abandoned a fair number of C warts, so it seems odd that this (to
me, obscure one) one would stay.