Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Sep 3 01:15:11 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:39:34 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> Had I used GUI tools to do this, I'd be fighting with trying to make
> ImageEditorPro123 work with VisualWebsite2013, and trying to remember
> which folders held which version of which image, forgetting which
> layers to apply in which order to which image, generating images from
> the wrong version of the source data and having to redo it all, etc..
> It'd be a gigantic exercise in micromanagement just to get things to
> work together properly. The lack of cross-app scriptability really
> turns this into a full-time job, whereas right now, it's a 5-minute
> edit and re-run the build script, and I'm up and away.

Indeed.

On a previous site I did, we had a bunch of different audio/video
assets for both HTML and Flash. It really wasn't all that many really,
but the "art" guy (a manager/designer, not really an art guy anyway)
was doing most of it with various Adobe tools, doing it all the "Adobe"
way. Trying to manage those assets, especially if anything needed
changed, was a royal pain in the ass.

And consistency, forget it. We didn't even end up with a whole lot of
consistency despite all the time and effort I put into it (it would
have been a *real* mess if I hadn't, though). Trying to get him to use
any sort of version management tool would have been wasted effort,
which made it all the worse. Not that VCSes are all that great with
binary files anyway.