[OT]: Memory & Performance

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:48:20 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 16:15:51 UTC, Chris wrote:
> If you had the choice between:
>
> - 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 1 X 4 GB
> - 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB ( + $49.00 )
>
> Is it worth the extra money or is the increase in performance
> not worth mentioning? Any experience with that.
>
> The processor
>
> 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor ( 2.4 GHz 6MB
> L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )
>
> Thanks.

That's a little pricey for a 4GB DIMM, but the prospect of living
with less than 8GB is unfathomable with my usage habits.  Do you
run a lot of things?  Do you use browser tabs?  Do you compile
code?  If the answer to any of these is "yes", more memory will
probably help.  If nothing else, you benefit from OS caching to
memory and not swapping.  That's a nice thing to have.

-Wyatt