[OT]: Memory & Performance

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 11:58:32 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 16:15:51 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Is it worth the extra money or is the increase in performance
> not worth mentioning?

It won't do *squat* to your performance. However, what it *will*
do is allow you to do twice as many things at the same time,
before you start swapping (at which case performance goes down. A
lot.) That said, if you can afford it, it's nice breathing room
(especially for windows).

> + $49.00

For $55.00 you can buy the whole 8 gigs, You can easily get 4
gigs for 30$. If your merchant is billing you 50$ for an extra 4
gigs, don't take it, and buy them yourself on some other retailer.

As long as we are off-topic: Make sure you get an SSD. I would
not consider buying a computer without one today. I dare say that
today, it is *the* most important thing to have in a computer.

Today, if your computer has an SSD, and at least the 4 gigs of
memory, then it is basically fast enough to do mostly anything
that's not 3D, or massive number grinding. It will allow flying
through files, coding, surfing with tons of tabs etc...

I'm on an "punny" i3U laptop, with integrated graphics, but
there's an 256G SSD. Truth be told, unless I'm playing video
games, I can't see any difference in terms of performance
compared to my desktop.