Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Sep 3 14:57:27 PDT 2013

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 20:43:44 +0200
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/13, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Or enforce that the devs actually experience the end-user
> > experience. Then they'll know what the problems actually are, have
> > a realistic perspective of their productivity impact, and might
> > take them more seriously.
>
> But you can't force devs to hack on other people's IDE projects if
> they're not interested in IDEs. (especially if the IDEs are written
> in, say, C#, or are a complex C++ monster, or just have a lousy
> codebase).
>
> If some IDEs don't work as advertised, why not file complaints to the
> developers of those IDEs?

Or better yet, file pull requests.

> > None of the others could be bothered creating
> > yet-another-webpage-account to log bugs they encountered. I
> > suggested they do so a few times. I was promptly ignored. It's just
> > that manually logging in to non-ajax websites is so last decade.
> > People are growing very weary of creating and managing accounts on
> > every website they visit.
>
> Lazyness is abound these days. :)

Indeed. Having a problem with logging in is about as lazy as it gets
(except for the asinine login systems that that block mailinator
addresses).

But that said, logging in should *never* be a requirement for filing a
bug report. It makes about as much sense as (tying into another branch
of this thread here) preventing users from watching their own DVDs. I
guess I didn't realize bugzilla was doing that since I've been logged
into it for several years.

> I don't know what ajax has to do
> with it though. (web is not my thing)

It doesn't have anything to do with ajax, it's OpenID (which is
unrelated to Ajax). And OpenID is inherently flawed - it's a
phisher's and data-miner's wet dream. It should NOT be encouraged, and
certainly shouldn't be used by anyone who cares in the slightest about
their own security or privacy. OpenID is a perfect example of what
"Practical Cryptography" (a book by Niels Ferguson and Bruce Schneier)
calls "dancing pigs". ("When users have a choice between security and
dancing pigs, dancing pigs will win every time.")

If web logins are such a terrible chore, just use any of the many, many
existing tools for managing logins. FF has one built-in, and I'm
sure many others do, too. IIRC, OSX even has one at built in at the
operating system level. Security-wise, some of these may not be perfect
either, but at least they're not so ridiculously easy to phish and
cracking them requires access to your actual machine.

> I do like how stackoverflow allows you to log-in with a single click
> (e.g. using a Google account or something else), if bugzilla allowed
> this it would be neat.

I don't know if they still do, but stack overflow used to *require*
that to log in. That's why I never use stack overflow.

> Alternatively maybe we should allow unregistered user bug reports, but
> use a captcha or something to fight spam. I don't know how doable this
> is. Some other projects use this system (e.g. Tcl).

*Definitely*