Need help to finish DMD zip/7z release generator (alpha release)

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 21:52:35 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 at 04:15:38 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 04:18:37 +0200
> "Rikki Cattermole" <alphaglosined at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You have to manually tell dpkg that it can use specific
>> architectures like 32bit in a 64bit system [1].
>> However this takes a bit of configuration to get working so
>> this might have to be left to the user and not placed into the
>> script.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO
>
> Eh, damn, it looks like I may need to put together a Debian 7
> persistent
> live disc/usb because I can't seem to get the necessary
> versions of
> dpkg/apt in Deb 6, even in backports.
>
> But...don't linux bins tend to not work on systems (ie, glibc)
> older than the one used to compile? If that's the case then
> maybe I
> should make the 32- and 64-bit passes separable so a multilib
> system
> isn't required (which appears to mandate very new versions of
> linux,
> at least for debian anyway).
>
> What kind of linux system is currently being used to generate
> the linux
> releases?

I think in the case of Debian based systems that having one for
32bit and 64bit might work. However don't quote me on that.
I took a look at Ubuntu's support and its very similar to
Debian's.

"In Debian dpkg this is present since 1.16.2. In Ubuntu this is
present since natty (v1.15.8.10ubuntu1)."
That may be of some use to you. Thats for multiarch support.

I can't really help much more than this I'm afraid.