[OT]: Memory & Performance

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 03:45:49 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 at 10:36:14 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 11:40:41 +0200
> "Chris" <wendlec at tcd.ie> wrote:
>>
>> I agree that 128-250GB are loads and it takes a while to run
>> out of space, however, it happens faster than you think these
>> days,
>
> Heh, yea. Personally, I'd find 128-250GB unbearably small
> unless it was
> in addition to a beefier secondary HDD. My current system (a
> laptop) is
> 320GB and I find that very tight. It wouldn't even be good
> enough
> for me if I wasn't using my prior computer (a desktop) as a 2.5
> TB (or
> so) file server.
>
> Maybe I'm just weird (well, I know I am ;) ), but what I lack in
> processor needs I tend to make up for in storage needs.
>
> OTOH, my server is only a few gigs HDD, and that's been fine so
> far.
> *shrug*

I ended up installing a ZFS based NAS at home. I got 4TB of data,
snapshotted hourly, and replicated on secondary backup.

I use it as my centralized storage solution. Regardless which
computer I'm on (Home PC/Home laptop/ work laptop, wife's laptop,
TV server, tablet), my files are there with me, with no need for
data transfer.

All of these have about <120 Gigs of local storage, except for
the home laptop, which is 250 (useful for taking stuff when not
at home). In any case, I don't believe in having local storage
anymore.

You don't need to go hardcore with a server or anything, but I
think external storage is a superior solution. They make 2TB 2.5"
external drives nowadays. All they need is a USB port and they
are good to go.