Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Wed Sep 4 09:52:18 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 04:29:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 6:13 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> Unless the industry is showing signs of understanding, I'm
>> done with theses
>> stuffs. When amateurs can do better for free, you are not
>> providing any service,
>> you are just scamming your customers.
>
> I don't know about scamming, but I find the business practice
> of ignoring people who want to throw money at you to be utterly
> baffling.
>
> For example, I want to watch Forbrydelsen. It's only available
> as Region 2 DVDs. I have several dvd/bluray players, none will
> play it. What the hell? It's 6 years old. Who is making money
> off of me not being able to watch it?
>
> (Amazon sez: "It won't play on standard DVD/Blu-ray players
> sold in the United States.")
>
> I'm unimpressed.

Region locking exists solely* to protect the distributors so they
don't have to compete with one another.  I imagine if they tried
pulling this in a single country (rather than across country
lines), anti-collusion laws would kick in and they'd be subject
to some hefty fines and the practice would be banned.

* I'm sure they have their excuses for how it's good for
consumers and protects them from some imagined threat but
removing competition among the various distributors does nothing
but hurt consumers.