Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Wed Sep 4 11:18:01 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 04:29:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 6:13 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> Unless the industry is showing signs of understanding, I'm
>> done with theses
>> stuffs. When amateurs can do better for free, you are not
>> providing any service,
>> you are just scamming your customers.
>
> I don't know about scamming, but I find the business practice
> of ignoring people who want to throw money at you to be utterly
> baffling.
>
> For example, I want to watch Forbrydelsen. It's only available
> as Region 2 DVDs. I have several dvd/bluray players, none will
> play it. What the hell? It's 6 years old. Who is making money
> off of me not being able to watch it?
>
> (Amazon sez: "It won't play on standard DVD/Blu-ray players
> sold in the United States.")
>
> I'm unimpressed.

It's an issue of rights negotiation.  Someone has to go buy the
rights for each of those shows for every region and type of
technology, whether broadcast or DVD or internet, each one is
handled separately.  Because there's no standardized contracts or
pricing, these deals take forever and they simply don't bother if
the market is too small, ie you and the three other people who
want to watch Forbrydelsen, whatever that is. ;) If it costs them
more to hire the high-priced lawyers to cut these deals than they
will get from foreign sales, they don't bother.

This is what bit torrent is for:

http://bitsnoop.com/
http://thepiratebay.sx/
http://www.transmissionbt.com/

I've watched the full runs of HBO shows like Game of Thrones and
Boardwalk Empire and any popular movie I want, in HD, through
these torrent sites.  I discovered an Australian reality show
called My Restaurant Rules through a torrent site, despite never
having heard of it anywhere else, and enjoyed it enough that I
watched the entire second season through torrent almost a decade
ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Restaurant_Rules#Series_two).

I haven't had any cable, HBO, or online video subscription
service in more than a decade; I've probably rented one, maybe
two, DVD/blurays during that time.  It's all moving online
anyway, only a question of when.