Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Sep 4 13:10:53 PDT 2013

On Sep 2, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 9/2/2013 1:36 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> It's things like this "keyhole interface", that caused me to be
>> convinced that the GUI emperor has no clothes, and to turn to CLI-only
>> development.
>
> One of the giant failures of the GUI interface, and that VS suffers from, too, is when you need to do repetitive operations.
>
> On the CLI, I constantly use the history list, and I constantly write throwaway scripts to automate what I'm doing at the moment. It makes everything I do, no matter how obscure, only 2 or 3 keypresses.
>
> With VS, or any GUI, if there's not a button to do it, I'm reduced to:
>
> move mouse
> click
> move mouse
> click

Most editors these days have an option to record and playback macros.  Does VS really not have this?

> Sounds easy, right? It is easy. Now do it to 1000 photos. With a command line tool:
>
> write a script that does it to one picture, name it cc.bat

The problem I've encountered on Windows is that its default batch language is terrible.  Any reasonable amount of command-line scripting requires either a different shell or ports of all the Unix tools.