Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Craig Dillabaugh cdillaba at cg.scs.carleton.ca
Wed Sep 4 14:08:00 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 at 20:37:40 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/2/2013 1:36 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>> It's things like this "keyhole interface", that caused me to
>>> be
>>> convinced that the GUI emperor has no clothes, and to turn to
>>> CLI-only
>>> development.
>>
>> One of the giant failures of the GUI interface, and that VS
>> suffers from, too, is when you need to do repetitive
>> operations.
>>
>> On the CLI, I constantly use the history list, and I
>> constantly write throwaway scripts to automate what I'm doing
>> at the moment. It makes everything I do, no matter how
>> obscure, only 2 or 3 keypresses.
>>
>> With VS, or any GUI, if there's not a button to do it, I'm
>> reduced to:
>>
>> move mouse
>> click
>> move mouse
>> click
>
> Most editors these days have an option to record and playback
> macros.  Does VS really not have this?
>
>> Sounds easy, right? It is easy. Now do it to 1000 photos. With
>> a command line tool:
>>
>> write a script that does it to one picture, name it cc.bat
>
> The problem I've encountered on Windows is that its default
> batch language is terrible.  Any reasonable amount of
> command-line scripting requires either a different shell or
> ports of all the Unix tools.

Newer versions of Windows have Powershell, which as a Linux/CLI
guy, I must admit is reasonably close to something like BASH
(perhaps even superior for some tasks), and there are aliases to
many of the Unix commands.   I think it may be the default batch
language in the latest Windows versions.

However, while it has aliases to many Unix-like commands it
doesn't have everything an it also suffers from the Java diseases
of having:

Really.Long.Names.For.Everything