Rust Code in the Wild

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 20:22:13 PDT 2013

While browsing Hacker News I came across this announcement of a
physics engine written in Rust. Just browsing through the code, I
noticed that it looks extremely arcane. I guess after awhile it's
something you could get used to, but it seems somewhat ironic
that the author says that C++ will die of ugliness, when Rust
already has syntactic monstrosities such as these:

pub struct BodyWorld<N, LV, AV, M, II, CM> {
     world: World<N, Body<N, LV, AV, M, II>, Constraint<N, LV, AV,
M, II>>,
     forces: @mut BodyForceGenerator<N, LV, AV, M, II>,
     integrator: @mut BodySmpEulerIntegrator<N, LV, AV, M, II>,
     detector: @mut BodiesBodies<N, LV, AV, M, II, BF<N, LV, AV,
M, II>>,
     sleep: @mut IslandActivationManager<N, LV, AV, M, II>,
     ccd: @mut SweptBallMotionClamping<N, LV, AV, M, II, BF<N, LV,
AV, M, II>>,
     joints: @mut JointManager<N, LV, AV, M, II>,
     solver: @mut AccumulatedImpulseSolver<N, LV, AV, M, II, CM>
}

This stuff is downright arcane. I'd say that D is in a far better
situation right now in regard to being syntactically easy to
parse and understand for the average coder.