Issue 10903 - rebuild dlang.org documentation

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Fri Sep 6 14:06:48 PDT 2013

On 09/06/2013 09:52 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
> hyphenate.js uses a big language lookup table to insert thousands of
> ­ into all of the words on the entire page so that the browser can
> hyphenate the words.  It seems the author has spent a lot of time trying
> to make it run fast but it's going to be slow just by the nature of what
> it has to do.  A proper hyphenation algorithm is faster because it takes
> place during the layout stage so it doesn't need to consider every word
> for hyphenation (and also would be written in native code) but that
> option isn't available to javascript as far as I know.

The trie compression algorithm is actually quite interesting.
It uses prefix and suffix compression at the same time with some
priority system to disambiguate longer matches.
I went and wrote a D library.
http://code.dlang.org/packages/hyphenate
It's not capable of processing HTML but if somebody had an idea how to
integrate it in the doc generation we could use it. Otherwise I'm hoping
for https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools/tree/master/dpl-docs.