new DIP47: Outlining member functions of aggregates

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Sun Sep 8 05:53:10 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 12:46:49 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> This proposal is just going back to the hell of header files
> again.

It has nothing to do with header files. Or real header file
problems.

> Seriously, this goes against everything you learn as a
> programmer, nothing should ever be typed twice and then to say
> that the declaration and implementation could be different just
> boggles my mind?!?! Great more work!

It is no different from overriding `interface` methods in class.
 From the code structure point of view, declaration is interface.
Implementation is implementation. Keeping those separate may
sometimes/often be useful.

That said, I am strongly against permissive rules proposed in
this DIP. It should be similar to overriding rules - any smallest
difference between to signatures and program stops compiling.
Otherwise it is maintenance hell.