new DIP48: Interface specifications for aggregate types

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 11:28:43 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 18:13:52 UTC, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> what I see as the main problem:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP48
>
> Destroy!

Personally I find this practice of creating a competing DIP to be
very annoying. This was specifically outlined in the first DIP:

http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1
"A DIP should represent a problem the community wants to resolve
and not just a specific resolution to a problem. This allows the
DIP to be a central hub for any given problem. If a resolution is
radically different from the current state of the DIP, an
alternative DIP could be created as a sub page, e.g. under
/DIPs/DIP1/Alternatives/Alt1?. The DIP should be created in its
entirety such that it could replace the current DIP through
simple copy and past."

By creating separate DIPs and new forum posts, the discussion is
segregated instead of being a progression to a solution. How is
one to know that these two DIPs are to address the same problem:

"Outline Member Functions of Aggregates"
"Interface specifications for aggregate types"