Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Sun Sep 8 14:00:17 PDT 2013

Just for the sake of completeness:

mono is *detested* and considered even more inacceptable than
java by many linux and (even more) *BSD users.

Actually I *did* try the eclipse D IDE thing ... and found it to
match my (utterly negative) perception of java (which has pretty
nothing to do with the D ide and pretty everything with eclipse).
Concerning Mono-D I heard about it and respect the efforts of the
creator(s) ... but never even looked at it (and never will until
hell freezes).

I vaguely remember seeing colleagues work with Visual$$ on
Windoze and they looked happy and productive to me.
For a reason: Visual$$ seems to serve quite nicely the needs and
expectations of those developing on Windoze.

For fairness sake:
It's next to impossible to do the same (as Visual$$) on linux/BSD
due to complexity and a fractured eco system. Gnome and QT/kde
basically are religious issues and no matter which one one
chooses one will have a large audience refusing it. Besides both
are monstrous (and more often than not meet resistance or at the
very minimum reluctance on the Windoze side). Fox and fltk are
nice little thingies but not up to (todays) par lacking even
functionality like printing. And so on.

That's quite regrettable, considering that we have a quite nice
editor engine (Scintilla), quite good a debugger, and quite good
compilers for pretty every language around.

That said, maybe my first reaction was too harsh. After all, it's
not D's job to solve the linux gui troubles.
Having GDC with GDB working and some editors and even IDEs more
or less working with D, I see that I should walk back a little
and agree with the proposal (of this thread).

A+ -R