Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Sun Sep 8 14:42:52 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 21:08:59 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> Against because we need a solution for *all* major platforms
>> (Lx32, Lx64,
>> *BSD, apple, w32,w64) and I'm worried that this resolution
>> here might lead
>> to a "So, we *do* have an IDE. Case closed" attitude.
>>

> Why not cross-platform instead of *just* the major platforms?
> :o)

Because I have saved at least some crumbs of being realistic *g

I'm btw. *not* against Visual$$ and I *do* know and respect that
it has a lot of happy and productive followers. MS has definitely
done something quite right there.
My point isn't "Ignore Visual$$! Hehe" but rather "Please, make
sure to have happy linux and BSD users, too!".

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 21:21:37 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 8 September 2013 22:00, Ramon <spam at thanks.no> wrote:
>> Just for the sake of completeness:
>>
>> mono is *detested* and considered even more inacceptable than
>> java by many
>> linux and (even more) *BSD users.
>>

> Swings in roundabouts. Also depends what you mean by detest and
> inacceptable...

I'm, afraid it has shown to be quite senseless to resolve such
issues by analysing and discussing adjectives.

>>From an ethical viewpoint, I think most of it is FUD that still
> lingers from back when there was confusion over what Microsoft
> was
> going to do C# (there was for a long time fear that it would
> drive all
> free C# implementations underground).  But all that mist has
> been
> cleared for a while, and I don't believe this represents the
> overall
> view of users/developers - except for those who are still stuck
> in
> 2008 mindset.

Then let me inform you from a practical viewpoint that I'm not
stupid and ignorant enough to automatically refuse anything from
MS just because it's from MS. I don't like them and I don't trust
them a nanometer but I recognize (even publicly) and respect when
they do something well - like Visual$$.
I'm btw. also advising clients in ca. 85% of cases to forget
about Linux on the desktop and to use Windoze.
My reasons to "paranoically" avoid Windoze for *myself* are not
political or religious but purely pragmatic.
tl;dr One is grossly mistaken when seeing myself as linux-taliban
like anti-MS.

I've talked to Miguel in person and I have solid reasons to not
consider or touch Mono. Kindly note that I'm not fudding or
preaching against it - I simply state that I and many others will
not, no matter matter what, touch it.

> Mono/C# as a language may be detested for technically sound
> reasons however...

Indeed. And those reasons might sometimes even be related to Mono.

A+ -R