Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Sep 9 03:06:43 PDT 2013

On 09/09/13 11:29, Ramon wrote:
> Well, to me someone who talks in a negative way about another user (or "smartly"
> works out subtle differences in such remarks) rather than about D related issues
> looks like an idiot.
>
> Isn't it beautiful to experience variety of perception?

There's nothing idiotic about asking people to behave civilly and not use
sarcastic nicknames for other software products, even when one has good reason
to disapprove of them.  A variety of perception is good, expressing yourself in
a way that makes people more likely to ignore or dismiss your perception isn't.

Besides, the D community ought to be a friendly environment for developers from
any platform.  Tolerance for sneering nicknames can be offputting for people
from the platforms being sneered at -- and if they're less likely to join the
community as a result, the variety of perception will be decreased.

> I sincerely hope it's not too immature brat looking to suggest that we focus on
> D related issues again.

Making the D community a pleasant place for everyone _is_ a D-related issue.

In my experience it's a very typical problem of technical people in general (I
don't excuse myself here) that they focus predominantly on technical issues at
the expense of understanding how their ways of expressing themselves are
perceived by other people.  The result is very often a lot of unnecessary
conflict and failure of communication, and a lot of interpersonal grievances
that are completely avoidable.

This conversation is a good example.  You seem to think that everyone is
accusing you of being immature.  Actually, this whole thread of conversation is
an appeal to your maturity -- to your capacity to understand why people are
concerned about these things, and to adapt accordingly.