Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Brian Rogoff brogoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 09:11:59 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 11:48:06 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 08.09.2013 13:24, schrieb Russel Winder:
>> On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 00:35 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> […]
>>
>> And why is the target audience for D only C and C++ people?
>> Surely the
>> target audience for D is any programmer wanting a native code
>> executable.
>>

> Because many of us are actually aware of compilers that produce
> native code for our languages, even if they are not the default
> way to use them.

If you're used to using an IDE, let's say IntelliJ for Java, and
you may also want to develop in D, why shouldn't you be able to
use that IDE, and not context switch? There may be more of a
market for Java/Python/whatever programmers interested in D than
you think.

> To make it more clear, the ML family of languages, Pascal
> family of
> languages, even JVM and .NET environments have native compilers
> available. You just have to look for them.

IMO, D has more potential as a native code compilation target
than Java, C#, and ML, at least in theory, because I should be
able to control and even disable garbage collection. So, even
users of managed languages may want to examine D.

-- Brian