D and Emacs [ was Re: Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ? ]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Sep 9 10:29:50 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 11:38 +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
[…]
> If it's Emacs stuff, shouldn't it be versioned in bzr? :-)

It used to be, but a decision was made that it should be in the VCS of D
rather than the VCS of Emacs. Given MELPA copes with Git and Bazaar,
this turned into a free-choice.

[…]
> I don't see that necessarily needs to be so.  Different projects should be able
> to have different gatekeepers/maintainers.  If that's problematic, if GitHub
> won't support separate maintainer groups for different repositories of
> D-Programming-Language, there are probably other ways round it -- e.g. the
> maintainers could have a separate project branch, and the D-Programming-Language
> repo could auto-pull from it (and never be pushed to directly).

As far as I am aware there is no concept of distinct and separately
managed "sub-organization". So if a repository is owned by an
organization only members of that organization have write permission. Or
can the write permissions be managed per repository so that additional
individual write members are allowed per repository. If the latter is
possible it solves all the problems I am concerned over.

I think we need to keep the repositories simple with branches only for
feature work and maintenance work. Having branches for internal
management would just indicate an inability of GitHub to handle the
workflow.

> Also, so long as everyone is trustworthy and limits their activity to their
> sphere of responsibility, there's no reason why you shouldn't just have a large
> maintainer group.  If you can't trust maintainer-of-project-X to only use admin
> powers for project X, and not for project Y as well, then why is he/she
> maintainer of project X in the first place?

There is that :-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk