D and Emacs [ was Re: Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ? ]

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Sep 9 10:54:21 PDT 2013

On 09/09/13 19:47, Russel Winder wrote:
> Bazaar (and Mercurial) were the only usable DVCSs early on, but already
> by 2006, O'Reilly had decided that Git was the winner and everything
> else was history – they effectively created a self-fulfilling prophecy.
> Git has over the years been bullied into being almost usable, Bazaar has
> lost it's major supporter and Mercurial drifts on the edge of being
> mainstream relevant. The USP of Git for me is remote tracking branches.
> I forgive a lot of unusability in Git for that.

I have personally drifted quite strongly towards git over the last 4 years.  I
agree the UI of bzr is still friendlier, but I have come to appreciate many of
the features of git and these days the extra complexity is not that much
greater.  That said, partly it's simply a consequence of the projects I'm
involved with these days.

Whatever my personal software choices, I'm very sad that bzr is no longer really
in the game.  It was an excellent tool, the first VCS I really used, and a great
way to learn the principles of DVCS.

> The interesting player in the game that is still around and really good,
> but very few have heard of is Fossil.

I have heard of it, but never tried it.  I really must give it a look, though --
its choice to include bug tracking, wiki pages, etc. within the versioned
history was something I found both intriguing and very attractive.

How does it fare on the speed/scale front?