Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Sep 9 11:17:33 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 18:31 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
[…]
> I wonder where you got this idea from.

It may just be FUD, but…

> .NET is pretty strong at Microsoft conferences, even this year BUILD had
> lots of new goodies announced.
>
> They can decide to target the WinRT runtime instead of the CLR, go fully
> native instead of generating MSIL bytecodes, or keep using CLR.

There appears to be a lowering of the CLR position in the Microsoft
public stances, and a rise of the native position (mostly C++).
Clearly .NET remains a strong Microsoft technology in the short term,
but it has not really achieved the penetration recently that perhaps it
should. Many organizations I deal with are planning to replace CLR-based
technologies.

A lot of the organizations that were Java at the centre, and C# on the
leaf nodes, are switching to Scala at the centre and Python at the leaf
nodes. I present as personal evidence the amount of training work I am
doing, but others are reporting similar. Admittedly this is areas where
number crunching is an important component. So instead of CLR, there is
a focus on JVM and native for crunching and Python for control and
visualization. D could be a strong part of this and I keep making
miniature technical marketing pitches whenever possible, but the C++
codes are already in place, and their strategy is already in place.

> There are lots of options still open and as someone that is active in
> both JVM and .NET worlds, I don't see .NET slowing down in the
> enterprise space. Pretty much the contrary actually, looking at the
> requests for proposals my employer receives.

Clearly we are in very different sectors. Everywhere I am going JVM and
native is displacing CLR. I can quite happily believe both our
observations are correct!

PS It has not passed my notice that revolutionary technical change often
follows from the appointment of new CTOs, not necessarily from any
burning need to change the technology. However it is sometimes easier to
put in place needed replacement of components by revolutionary rather
than evolutionary methods.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk