Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Peter Williams pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 9 16:28:05 PDT 2013

On 09/09/13 15:55, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, September 09, 2013 07:41:44 Volcz wrote:
>> Good idea!
>>
>> What about other useful projects? I know that a official lexer
>> was discussed some time ago. What about DCD? Should ex VisualD
>> use software like DCD if both are on the dlang GitHub?
>
> The plan is to integrate a full lexer and parser into Phobos (and hopefully
> eventually have dmd use those sometime after the front-end has been converted
> to D). So, I wouldn't expect there to be any separate projects for those to be
> moved into github/d-programming-language.
>
> I also don't think that we should rush and try and shove a bunch of projects
> in the official D github org. If it makes sense to put something there, then we
> should put something there, but IMHO it needs to actually have a good reason
> to be official, not just because it's useful.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I'll take this opportunity to remind people of dunnart (on github under
user name pwil3058) which is an enhanced LALR(1) parser generator for D.
  Lexical analysis specification is a part of the overall grammar
specification (using std.regex type regular expressions).  The lexical
analysis part of this code can also be used separately if desired (but
only on strings and not on streams i.e. read the whole file into a
string and give it to the lexer rather than giving the lexer the file
and letting it pull characters in one at a time).

Unfortunately, like most software, the documentation is still a bit less
than ideal/complete but I'll gladly answer questions if anyone wants to
use it.

Peter