Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Flamaros flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 00:00:27 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 06:18:16 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 09/09/13 21:26, Flamaros wrote:
>> Personally I think that phobos contains some parts that are in
>> Qt base, so a
>> wrapper isn't a perfect solution for D. It's certainly the
>> fastest way to extend
>> the D framework and add a GUI library, but Qt phylosophy
>> doesn't match perfectly
>> with D. Just take a look to moc, in D it's possible and
>> preferable to do without
>> it.
>>
>> That why we started DQuick to create a complete adaption of
>> QtQuick to D, this
>> is much hard to do but DQuick has the potential to be much
>> more suitable for D.
>
> I've just had a read through your DQuick announcement thread.
> It looks like a really nice project -- I wish you a lot of
> success with this.
>
> Now, that said, while Qt may have some issues with respect to
> D, supporting it isn't just a matter of wanting a GUI solution.
>  It's not just a graphical toolkit -- it's THE most important
> cross-platform toolkit, and has been chosen as a first-class
> SDK component by various platforms.  I'd say that makes good
> and up-to-date QtD bindings a very important strategic goal.

All parts of Qt that are non about GUI, like strings, io,
network, regexp,... are or certainly will be in phobos. So for D
applications started from ground I don't really see the benefits.
But if D is compatible with Qt/C++ existing code, it will be
great win. In this case QtD is clearly a strategic goal.