Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

PauloPinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Sep 10 00:13:55 PDT 2013

On Monday, 9 September 2013 at 16:12:00 UTC, Brian Rogoff wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 11:48:06 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Am 08.09.2013 13:24, schrieb Russel Winder:
>>> On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 00:35 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> […]
>> To make it more clear, the ML family of languages, Pascal
>> family of
>> languages, even JVM and .NET environments have native
>> compilers available. You just have to look for them.
>
> IMO, D has more potential as a native code compilation target
> than Java, C#, and ML, at least in theory, because I should be
> able to control and even disable garbage collection. So, even
> users of managed languages may want to examine D.
>
> -- Brian

I really hate the term managed language coined by Microsoft with
.NET's introduction.

What makes a language managed?

A GC? Then D is also managed.

Compiling to a VM? Then Java is native when I use the Excelsior
JET compiler.

Strong typing? Then Ada is managed.

One type of consulting projects we do is port C++ code to
.NET/JVM environments.

I can assure that given the proper expertise how to code in a GC
friendly way, GC is no a bottleneck than having to write special
tuned versions of malloc()/free().

In D's case it is currently an issue, given that the current
implementation is not as advanced as what is available in other
runtimes.

--
Paulo