Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Tue Sep 10 13:00:29 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 19:48:58 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 10/09/13 20:54, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Maybe the time has come to discuss that. Should we make dub
>> the official package
>> manager for D?
>
> Question from a complete non-user of dub -- how does it
> determine which D compiler(s) to install libraries for/with?  I
> almost never use DMD for anything apart from work on Phobos,
> but I alternate frequently between GDC and LDC.  I'd need a
> package manager that would play nice with that kind of
> switching and swapping.

--compiler=gdc/ldc is all you need to do to use compilers other
than dmd.  It doesn't normally install packages into the
compiler's existing library/source search paths but rather
specifies the path to dependencies during building.  Packages are
normally installed to somewhere in your user directory (I can't
remember where exactly, somewhere like ~dub/packages).  You can
also install packages as a directory in the current directory
(--local) or system wide (--system).  I find the default behavior
works just fine for me though.