Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Sep 10 14:25:37 PDT 2013

On 9/9/2013 11:35 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> C++11 has revitalized C++ in ways that are only just showing themselves.

That's true.

> This is a threat to D gaining traction.

I'm less sure about that. I think it presents an opportunity for us. Driving the
C++ resurgence is:

1. demand for high performance computing

2. turning back towards native languages

3. recognition of the value of functional-style programming techniques

4. recognition of the value of safety, encapsulation, etc.

But regarding the latter two points, I don't buy that the new C++ delivers. The
classic is a oneliner Andrei wrote:

     void fun() noexcept { throw "so sue me"; }

noexcept means the function doesn't throw any exceptions. But it doesn't check!
The above code compiles, and then fails at runtime. The opportunity for D is to
deliver what C++ has promised.