dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

luminousone rd.hunt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 15:06:27 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 20:48:58 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> We've been experimenting with http://code.dlang.org for a while
> and things are going well. In particular Sönke has been very
> active about maintaining and improving it, which brings further
> confidence in the future of the project.
>
> We're considering making dub the official package manager for
> D. What do you all think?
>

> Andrei

Not big on package repository systems for languages, The amount
of crap that eventually accumulates from abandoned projects wears
down on its usefulness.

Examples being php-pear, php-pecl, python pypi, etc I am sure
their are more examples.

Mostly however it comes down to strong policy about what stays in
the main package management system.

Projects that haven't had an update for an excessive amount of
time should likely be hidden but still available except in cases
where it is known to be unchanged without need for updates(such
as most wrappers).

And license acknowledgement, this is much more important with
source libraries then it is with say apt on Ubuntu.  Accidentally
polluting a bsd project or a closed source project with LGPL/GPL
code would be very bad, And often these package management
systems obscure what the sources license actually is by simply
not showing it or informing the user.

Basically I suggest that after one year without an update a
package gets moved into a old packages list, or flagged as
hidden, Except where the author sets a flag that says the package
is a wrapper.

And when packages are fetched give a summary of the licenses
used, the license name should be enough, google can fill in the
rest if need be.