dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

luminousone rd.hunt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 21:23:02 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 11 September 2013 at 04:06:18 UTC, Jason den Dulk
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 20:48:58 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> We're considering making dub the official package manager for
>> D. What do you all think?
>
> I think it is a good idea. Having a broad library available for
> developers to use is a big boost to productivity.
>
> However, I agree with luminousone that there need to be some
> rules about inclusion in the registry. Here are my ideas.
>
> 1) Must be legal.
> 2) Must be release usable.
> 3) Always has an active caretaker.
> 4) Must compile and run with a "reasonably recent" version of
> the official compiler.
> 5) Have a clear & precise descrption of what it does.
> 6) Have proper licensing.

On number 4, I will point out that Derelicts opengl wrapper
defines several win32 api structs and functions that are also in
core.sys.windows.windows. Leaving me in the position of having to
maintain a change set to the wrapper in order or use it.

Don't get me wrong I love derelict, Aldacron has done one hell of
a job with it. And this complaint may have more todo with the
somewhat ambiguous status that the windowsapi wrapper and
core.sys.windows.windows and very simply what import has what
function or struct declaration, and the conflicts arising from
multiple definitions etc.

  And I get it that the wrapper is more designed to work with
derelicts sdl or sfml wrappers, But this is a point that should
be brought up, their does exist libraries that will break when
used with the standard library.

I believe this would apply to point 2 and 4.

Maybe we need to define some package names that are reserved for
particular purposes, such as std, or core, or etc/etc.c/ etc...
Atleast within the context of the package manager so that
multiple packages don't use the same module name(unless of course
this is done intentionally for some useful purpose).