dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Tue Sep 10 23:42:22 PDT 2013

Am 11.09.2013 03:49, schrieb Nathan M. Swan:
> On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 20:48:58 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> We've been experimenting with http://code.dlang.org for a while and
>> things are going well. In particular Sönke has been very active about
>> maintaining and improving it, which brings further confidence in the
>> future of the project.
>>
>> We're considering making dub the official package manager for D. What
>> do you all think?
>>

>> Andrei
>
> I'm all in favor.
>
> Careful about the dependencies though, particularly for dub-registry.
> It's dependent on userman and vibe-d, which is dependent on openssl,
> libevent, and libev (in Deimos).

That's right, at least for DUB itself, all external dependencies have
been eliminated, though (except Phobos/libcurl).

For the registry site, however, it would be impractical to remove the
vibe-d dependency (means a complete rewrite with some other dependency
used instead). But should it ever become an issue, the userman
dependency could be replaced more easily.