dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Wed Sep 11 05:33:18 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 11 September 2013 at 09:57:48 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> The biggest issue I have with dub is that it's really doesn't
> install packages, at least not in the traditional sense. I
> cannot just run "dub install foo" and then "foo --help". It
> will only clone the repository, not install, or install
> anything. It basically only supports source packages, which
> makes it mostly useless for tools/application compiling to
> executables.
>
> I would say, compiling and installing executables is a must. It
> would be nice if it could compiling libraries as well.

I am strongly against it. It is not a job of language package
manager.

Implementing it properly will require to integrate the knowledge
of every existing packaging system among every slightly popular
OS / distro. Implement it as a hack with own package ecosystem
and people will hate you.

It exists to simplify development. Users that run D-based
programs should never ever be even aware of such thing as `dub`.