dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Wed Sep 11 08:09:12 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 11 September 2013 at 15:01:37 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> I'm thinking this type of package manager should be a
> development tool as well. But there are a lot of development
> tools that are executables and not just libraries. Think of
> your documentation generator. Without having looked at it I
> would assume it's an executable. I have myself a tool, DStep,
> which translate C headers to D modules. This is an executable
> as well.

Those should be provided as sources and built by dub too.
Distributing binary packages requires both package signing and
reasonable web of trust - something that is not easy to "just
implement" from scratch. Otherwise any single malicious package
may ruin reputation of the whole system.