dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Sep 11 12:17:22 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:04:37 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 01:24:38PM -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 16:11:10 John Colvin wrote:
> > > Why not YAML? It's cleaner than JSON and is very widely known.
> >
> > YAML is just plain evil. It doesn't ignore whitespace.
>
> [...]
>
> It's funny. I used to think Python is evil for the same reason,

Well, I hate that about python too, but what I _really_ hate about python is
that it's dynamic. It shouldn't be possible to do things like change the type
of a variable based on whether an if condition was true or not (or change the
type of a variable at all for that matter). I use python at work when I need
to use a scripting language, because it's the best option that I have there,
but otherwise, I'd just use D.

> But I've never used YAML, so I can't say whether or not I'd like it.

JSON is a subset of YAML 1.2, so they're very similar. Probably the most
obvious differences are that you don't need as many quotes in YAML, and
whitespace matters. I've had to deal with it some at work, and I hope to never
have to deal with it elsewhere.

- Jonathan M Davis