dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Sep 11 12:20:59 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 13:48:58 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> We've been experimenting with http://code.dlang.org for a while and
> things are going well. In particular Sönke has been very active about
> maintaining and improving it, which brings further confidence in the
> future of the project.
>
> We're considering making dub the official package manager for D. What do
> you all think?

I don't know if it's quite ready for that or not, but I've started using it
for most of my stuff. It feels kind of limited to me, and I'm inclined to think
that it will need more advanced build configuration abilities in the future (it
essentially does what rdmd does, whereas some projects will need something
more along the lines of full-on make capabilities), but for basic stuff, it
works just fine.

Certainly, I have no problem with aiming for dub becoming the official package
manager, and if we think that it's ready for that now and that whatever
shortcomings it currently has can be sorted out later, then I have no problem
with it becoming the official package manager now.

- Jonathan M Davis