dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Sep 11 13:20:09 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-11 18:50, Brad Anderson wrote:

> I have to completely disagree with you here.  Where would it end?  Would
> it install vim for me?  Install the Java VM so it could run some Java
> tool?  The level of effort needed to add this functionality—which would
> duplicate dozens of existing package management systems that already do
> this job well—is not worth it (and that's before you even consider the
> amount of effort that would be needed to maintain such a system).
>
> dub handles source libraries and handles them well (for such a young
> project).  There is no need to make it do everything and I think trying
> to would be detrimental.

Then we can remove all target types except for "sourceLibrary" because
they're all a lie. Currently when "installing" a executable package it
will only clone the repository. Then I have to figure out myself how to
install, which shared libraries it may depend on, which directories they
should be put in. Basically leaving the task of the package manager to
the user.

--
/Jacob Carlborg