dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Wed Sep 11 14:16:04 PDT 2013

Am 11.09.2013 21:20, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:

> I don't know if it's quite ready for that or not, but I've started using it
> for most of my stuff. It feels kind of limited to me, and I'm inclined to think
> that it will need more advanced build configuration abilities in the future (it
> essentially does what rdmd does, whereas some projects will need something
> more along the lines of full-on make capabilities), but for basic stuff, it
> works just fine.

Do you have (a) concrete example(s) where things need to get more powerful?

I try to keep the surface as simple as possible while handling the
complexity mostly in the background. But of course manual control is
necessary in some places.

One thing that definitely needs some improvements is the build system
(for example building dependencies separately and caching the resulting
binaries for reuse and at some point performing proper incremental builds).