dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Sep 11 15:04:51 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 13:06:05 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > JSON is a subset of YAML 1.2, so they're very similar. Probably the
> > most obvious differences are that you don't need as many quotes in
> > YAML, and whitespace matters. I've had to deal with it some at work,
> > and I hope to never have to deal with it elsewhere.
>
> [...]
>
> Wait, how can JSON be a subset of YAML if whitespace in YAML is
> significant, but it isn't in JSON?

I don't know. Maybe there's an alternate syntax in YAML that uses braces like
JSON and isn't whitespace-sensitive? I'm not enough of an expert on them to
know all of the little details. You can read what little it says on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML#JSON

But I know that whitespace matters in YAML at least some of the time, and I've
hated dealing with it.

- Jonathan M Davis