dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 11 15:57:13 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:40:30PM +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 15:17 -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> […]
> > that it's dynamic. It shouldn't be possible to do things like change
> > the type of a variable based on whether an if condition was true or
> > not (or change the type of a variable at all for that matter). I use
> > python at work when I need to use a scripting language, because it's
> > the best option that I have there, but otherwise, I'd just use D.
> […]
>
> The type of variables in Python do not change. Python is a strongly
> typed language. The type of all variables is pointer to object.
[...]

That's an implementation detail. Does the Python *language* even have
such a concept as a "pointer"?

In theory, any Turing-complete language can be implemented by any other
Turing-complete language. Just because BF can be implemented in C, in no
way implies that (the C implementation of) BF is a statically-typed
language. Nor does the fact that Haskell can be implemented in C imply
that Haskell has pointers.

"I suspect the best way to deal with procrastination is to put off the
procrastination itself until later. I've been meaning to try this, but
haven't gotten around to it yet. " -- swr