std.d.lexer: pre-voting review / discussion

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 11 20:30:21 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:06:11PM -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, September 12, 2013 03:37:06 deadalnix wrote:
> > Int, Function, Scope, Import are all valid identifiers.
>
> All of which violate Phobos' naming conventions for enum values (they
> must start with a lowercase letter), which is why we went with adding
> an _ on the end. And it's pretty much as close as you can get to the
> keyword without actually using the keyword, which is a plus IMHO
> (though from the sounds of it, H.S. Teoh would consider that a
> negative due to possible confusion with the keyword).
[...]

Actually, the main issue I have is that some of the enum values end with
_ while others don't. This is inconsistent. I'd rather have consistency
than superficial resemblance to the keywords as typed. Either *all* of
the enum values should end with _, or *none* of them should.  Having a
mixture of both is an eyesore, and leads to people wondering, should I
add a _ at the end or not?

If people insist that the 'default' keyword absolutely must be
represented as TokenType.default_ (I really don't see why), then *all*
TokenType values should end with _. But honestly, I find that really
ugly. Writing something like kwDefault, or tokenTypeDefault, would be
far better.

Sigh, Andrei was right. Once the bikeshed is up for painting, even the
rainbow won't suffice. :-P

MASM = Mana Ada Sistem, Man!