Thread-Multiplexing for D

Bienlein jeti789 at web.de
Thu Sep 12 07:12:21 PDT 2013

Hello,

I once had a look at Go and D and can't see a reason to choose Go
except for language built-in CSP and thread-multiplexing. But
thread-multiplexing in Go is really a killer feature, especially
when developing server-side applications that need to scale with
the number of requests (from the Internet). Several startups
chose therefore Go. It could have been D.

So my point is that it would be good to have thread multiplexing
in D as well. It exists for Java, see
http://hawtdispatch.fusesource.org/. And then there is the
original from Apple:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Dispatch.

I think server-side applications that need to scale and are not
for enterprise computing (aka company internal Java clusters) is
a new kind of application for which people could also decide to
choose D for just like Go.

Putting in some thread-multiplexing into D is not easy and I
won't have the time for doing that. But I would like to suggest
to start an effort in that direction or think it over whether
that would be something to have.

Regards, Bienlein