finding errors with templates without instantiating them

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Sep 12 15:16:45 PDT 2013

Jonathan M Davis:

> I think that if this sort of thing is to be considered, it
> needs to be
> considered after all of the far more major issues have been
> resolved.

In general this a well know fallacious point of view. I D there
are large issues open since several years. If you apply your idea
to this situation along the years, then you don't improve the
compiler much
In most jobs you use pipelining: you don't wait for the largest
jobs to finish before doing small jobs. You try to cram as many
jobs in parallel as possible, filling all the empty cracks, to
increase throughput. This is why people are improving small
things in dmd even if large compiler issues are still present.

Bye,
bearophile