dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Sep 13 05:12:33 PDT 2013

On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 11:55:42 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>>  - What is the process to get some code on code.dlang.org ? We
>> must
>> settle something if this have to go "official".
>
> My idea (the status quo) is to keep that as open as possible.
> Anyone can register an account and register his/her repository.
> Package names are reserved on a first-come-first-serve basis.
> This process would then be augmented with community votes,
> automatic package deprecation and sporadic moderation to keep
> everything clean in the long term.

I think AUR (Arch Linux Repository) model is very successful one
and worth paying attention to when it comes to source packages.
Other than voting it also has `out-of-date` flagging by users
which helps to noticed abandoned packages fast. There is also
small group of trusted users who processes requests for package
ownership transfer / package merging via mail list. Any
suspicious / malicious package get processed in a similar way.
Other than that it is very anarchic environment and still works
damn well - AUR package count is now more than 40 000 and Arch
Linux is pretty young distro.