[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 13 14:08:14 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:46:45PM +0200, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 20:44:52 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> >On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 20:38:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >>BTW, one veery nice thing about ME is I can run it from a remote
> >>console window.
> >
> >Yea, that's a big reason I use vim too. I do a lot of my work
> >through remote connections and having my trusty editor available
> >with good speed and resumeability where I left off (thanks to gnu
> >screen) is a huge nice thing.
>
> Do you actually write significant amounts of code on remote
> machines? I'm struggling to find a reason to do that.

I do. I prefer to keep code in a single place, i.e., on my PC, so when
I'm away from my desk (travelling, house-sitting for my mother-in-law,
etc.), I use GNU screen over ssh.

Screen, especially, lets me continue the same coding session in the
little bits of free time I have here and there (start coding in the
morning, pause to get to work, work on work, resume coding during lunch
break, get back to work, resume while waiting for long work-related
build to finish, go back to work, resume at mother-in-law's house while
waiting for people to show up for dinner, pause to have dinner, resume
after dinner while waiting for wife to walk the dog, etc.).

One of the most complex algorithms I've ever implemented for a personal
project (C++ at the time) was all done over ssh from my mother-in-law's
while house-sitting for her.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a
closed room with a mosquito. -- Jan van Steenbergen