[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 13 14:36:16 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:18:45PM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 21:09:40 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >I do. I prefer to keep code in a single place, i.e., on my PC, so
> >when I'm away from my desk (travelling, house-sitting for my
> >mother-in-law, etc.), I use GNU screen over ssh.
>
> The headers of your messages tell me that you probably do email the
> same way I do too: keep it all on the home computer and ssh in with
> mutt!

Yup!

I grew up with pine, until its limitations left me pining for something
better... (har har)  I tried several alternatives but didn't like any of
them, until I met mutt. Mutt is far more configurable than pine, and can
handle a lot of stuff pine can't (this was over a decade ago, though, I
don't know if this is still true... or if pine even exists anymore).

I hate leaving my mail on some remote mailserver; I like keeping it all
on my home PC (so that they are always accessible even if my 'Net
connection goes down every now and then). So I set up my MX to deliver
all mail to my PC, and I check mail with ssh/mutt. Nowadays I can even
do this from my Android phone, though the low resolution and lack of a
real keyboard does make it rather awkward to use.

> (I use the website for replying to D postings though, since the
> mailing list interface I find unreliable for outgoing messages.)

The website is too GUI-like for my tastes. I prefer doing everything
from mutt. :)

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. -- Napoleon Bonaparte