[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Fri Sep 13 14:48:05 PDT 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:29:02 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:00:49PM +0200, monarch_dodra wrote:
> vim (and all vi-derived editors) is... shall we say, a unique beast all
> its own. It requires a different *mode* of thinking (har har) than your
> usual GUI-based editors.  In most other editors, you think in terms of
> "move cursor here, type some characters, move cursor there, hit delete a
> few times", etc..  But in vi(m), you operate on a different level of
> abstraction. Rather than thinking in terms of individual cursor
> movements and single-character operations, you're thinking in terms of
> abstract editing operations: "go to the word that begins with 'vo',
> replace the word with 'int', go back to the start of the paragraph, open
> a new line of text above it", etc..

I've introduced a few young developers to Vim and the major hole that
they tend to fall into is printing out a list of vim "keyboard
shortcuts", because that's how other editors work: you memorize a bunch
of arbitrary key combinations.  So the thing that I emphasize is learning
Vim's *language*.  Say you already know that "d" means delete--whenever
you learn a new noun such as "e" (end of word), you can combine the two:
"de" (delete to end of the word).  The same applies when you learn a new
verb, e.g. "y" for "yank" (copy): "ye" copies from the cursor to the end
of the word.  Then mix it up with adjectives like counts ("d5e", delete
to five word endings) or "i" and "a" (inside and around, "di{" for
"delete inside this block").