[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Sep 13 16:56:10 PDT 2013

On Friday, September 13, 2013 15:48:55 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 06:06:50PM -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Vim's learning curve is quite nasty, but I definitely think that it
> > was worth it.
>
> [...]
>
> Yeah, I hated vi and all its ilk for the longest time. I used to rant
> about the counterintuitivity of modal editors all the time on online
> discussion boards, until one day I steeled myself to actually learn it,
> and now I wouldn't use anything else. I like the way Justin Whear
> describes it: it's not so much a set of keyboard shortcuts for common
> editing operations, as a *language* for describing editing operations.
> A language requires much more effort to learn than a set of shortcuts,
> but in the end, it's far more expressive and powerful.

I don't think that it was ever described quite that way to me, but the co-
worker/mentor I had who was really into vim and got me to learn it did explain
the importance of learning each of the individual commands so that you could
then combine them rather than learning things like the fact that dd deleted a
line or that yy copied an entire line.

- Jonathan M Davis