[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 17:39:33 PDT 2013

On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 22:32:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Sure... wait, what?

Download a random binary off the internet. Odds are, if it is an
exe, it will work. Even if you're on linux, you can run it with
wine.

If it is a linux binary, good luck. Even a relatively simple
program like dmd can't be relied upon: on the CentOS box at one
of my jobs, I had to build from source due to a libc
incompatibility.

And if it is a gui program, whew, all bets are off! I even have
programs on my desktop that worked last year, and segfault now.
Apparently an unrelated update had an ABI incompatibility in gtk.
Gimp still works (and works quite well), but qemu's new gtk gui
segfaults, a video game emulator I have runs but the menu all of
a sudden overlaps the game video, and abiword refuses to start.

These aren't even off the internet, these are things I compiled
myself less than two years ago!

Contrast to Windows, where programs I wrote while using win98
still tend to work.

Then, get into features. Contrast the Windows support with the
linux support in my terminal.d
https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff/blob/master/terminal.d

The first several *hundred* lines are dealing with random
incompatibilities in unix terminals, from keys sending different
sequences (and, of course, the infamous nonsense in
differentiating the user pressing the esc key from something like
F1 or another input escape sequence) to dealing with random
output rules. The KeyRelease event is never fired there, and the
KeyPress for various keys doesn't actually work either, despite
the actual PC hardware sending those codes.

And there's features not present either: determining the current
color so you can get better contrast. Gotta depend on the user
setting an environment variable. (You can't even use palette
entry #3 and expect dark or light yellow depending on the bg
which adjusts the whole system palette. Nope, it will happily put
light yellow on a white background and you can't tell if it is
doing that.) Oh, and the fad of semi-transparent terminal
windows. Please, give me a break. But that's user silliness, not
the OS, so I'll forgive it.

Anyway, you also can't resize the cursor well, say to indicate
insert vs overstrike mode. The PC hardware supports it.... but
Linux assumes you're on a random glass terminal, and accessing
the actual capabilities of PC hardware is clunky at best.

(You could spin this as a benefit, "look, cross-hardware
compatibility!" And that's great, it really is, but it could be
done so much better with graceful degradation techniques, not
saying "sorry PC users, you can't do that".)

And drawing, oh my. Long story short, coming from DOS or Windows
to the glorious land of various buggy, incompatible vt100
emulators is such a shock.

Wanna talk about audio or GUIs, whether high performance or just
asking for a consistent user experience to grab some basic data?
Prepare to descend directly into hell, do not pass go, do not
collect $200.

PS I've used exclusively Linux on my desktop for about a decade
now. I like a *lot* about it, especially now that I have so many
hacked up programs (custom taskbar, slightly modified Blackbox
window manager, a hotkey listener, my own libraries, etc. etc.
etc.).

But at the same time, using it for all this time after having so
much fun in the DOS+Windows world has made me see a lot of
faults. And many of them have gotten worse - what the hell is
PulseAudio anyway?