[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 13 19:56:38 PDT 2013

On Sep 14, 2013 1:40 AM, "Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 22:32:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>> Sure... wait, what?
>

> Download a random binary off the internet. Odds are, if it is an exe, it
will work. Even if you're on linux, you can run it with wine.

> If it is a linux binary, good luck. Even a relatively simple program like
dmd can't be relied upon: on the CentOS box at one of my jobs, I had to
build from source due to a libc incompatibility.

> And if it is a gui program, whew, all bets are off! I even have programs
on my desktop that worked last year, and segfault now. Apparently an
unrelated update had an ABI incompatibility in gtk. Gimp still works (and
works quite well), but qemu's new gtk gui segfaults, a video game emulator
I have runs but the menu all of a sudden overlaps the game video, and
abiword refuses to start.

> These aren't even off the internet, these are things I compiled myself
less than two years ago!

So then recompile after you do a distribution upgrade.  Assuming you still
have the original code kicking round.  Even then GIMP and QEMU are readily
available through most Linux distribution repositories.  Stuck on some
company version of binary software? Hate to be someone who gets stuck in
that situation. But then I wouldn't reluctantly accept the blobs either.

> Then, get into features. Contrast the Windows support with the linux
support in my terminal.d

https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff/blob/master/terminal.d

I'll be sure to look, but one bad thing doesn't mean everything's bad
(heck, for each bad thing you can say about one OS, there is some equally
bad thing to say about the other).

> Wanna talk about audio or GUIs, whether high performance or just asking
for a consistent user experience to grab some basic data? Prepare to
descend directly into hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

There's a lot the that does good - such as because of close bindings to
ATK, all GTK applications are accessible for all, but when you also give
people the choice to make their own custom widgets or place input
boxes/labels in ridiculous places, then  accessibilty goes downhill
quickly.  Windows is pretty Stonehenge when it comes to accessibility too,
so no cookies to either side.

> But at the same time, using it for all this time after having so much fun
in the DOS+Windows world has made me see a lot of faults. And many of them
have gotten worse - what the hell is PulseAudio anyway?

Essentially pulse is what Mir or Wayland will be to X in probably a year or
two.  It's a layer that talks to and interacts with ALSA, SDL, JACK, etc
applications and allows you to centrally manage them despite competing
incompatibility between the libraries - oh, and it does soft mixing for
hardware that is incapable of processing more than one sound at once - if
you remember the days when you'd be listening to music but couldn't hear
any sounds from sauerbraten, or whatever Linux games you were into.  :)

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';