[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Sep 13 22:53:51 PDT 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:28:03 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Windows, when
> installing stuff I used to always get messages like "this installer
> wants to overwrite the file C:\\windows\system\asdf1234.dll, proceed
> (y/n)?" -- which totally freaks me out.

I use windows basically every day, and I haven't seen that happen since
the 90's.

> Building from source, OTOH, tends to work pretty well, if you can get
> the thing to compile at all. (Thanks to apt-get, this is relatively
> painless nowadays, once you figure out which libraries are needed...

That last part is the real problem though. Typing "wget
http://blahblah && unzip blahblah && cd blahblah && ./configure && make
&& make install" may be easy(-ish), but not when you're collecting all
the libs (or worse: non-lib dependencies, which then leads you into
recursion), and the right versions of all, until the
sllloooowwww ./configure or make process finally quits bitching about
shit.

(And why the freak do I need to re-./configure for every single program
that needs compiled? Shouldn't something in autotools already *know* my
system details and not have to re-detect *everything* every single
time? "Checking X...", "Checking Y...", "Is Z sane..."...? Why? Every
other damn autotools-based project *already* checked those every time
I compiled them! It's like opening my car door twenty thousand times to
make sure "Yup...it's still a car!". If certain changes might go
unnoticed then fine, give me a way to force a re-check if really
needed.)

When I discover I need to build a linux program from source and can't
just apt-get it or something, I usually just turn away and look for
something else. Discovering an alternate program that *is* in the repo
is faster and easier than playing "dependency scavenger hunt".

Before tools like apt-get/yum came around, I had actually sworn off
Linux entirely, largely because of those sorts of problems (which were
only *slightly* less painful with rpm/deb).